Often, I headr that ETL and EAI are the same things, or BizTalk is a ETL like. Those sentences are wrong today and forever.
The two tools are differents goals, let me show the big différences :
- ETL is a decisionnal tool and EAI is an operational tool
- EAI can exchange with disparate system
- EAI is the connector between multiple systems, whereas ETL is a data warehousing process performed in an environment that is separate from the systems themselves.
- An EAI is a real time processor, ETL is a differed time processor
- ETL extracts data and transform it for the target, EAI manages business rule and business process
- ETL can manage a lot of data in the same time, EAI treats few data repeatedly
- With ETL you write data flows with EAI you write workflows
I’ve got a great image to show the difference :
An ETL can treat 1 000 000 000 lines in one times, BizTalk can treats 1 ligne in 1 000 000 000 times